Books to read - The Giver

"The giver" is an oldie, but a goodie! This book was actually a required read in my 8th grade English class. We all loved it, and I recently revisited it because I couldn’t remember the story but I knew I liked it! I actually heard this book is a loosely based trilogy, so I may have to check out “Gathering Blue” and “Messenger” as well!



This future society has adapted “sameness” to eliminate any pain from people’s lives. They are not supposed to talk about their feelings and they have very strict rules governing their lives. At every birthday some milestone is achieved, and the book starts with Jonas’s 12th birthday where he will get his job placement. He is skipped over at the job placement ceremony, but at the end they announce that he will be replacing “The Giver,” the person who keeps all of the memories before the society achieved sameness. The giver has been around for many years and has certain privileges that others in the community do not have. Jonas learns a lot from the giver and then is faced with a dilemma to continue his shallow life without colors or love or find a new life for himself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 45 President's of the United States Song!

Last Name Banner

TOP: The Organic Project