Get off your lazy butt!

http://shine.yahoo.com/financially-fit/marriage-chances-rise-salary-195200744.html

So, I'm not surprised, but married people are becoming the minority!

Half of adults in America are married and half are single. All I have to do is look at my peers and I know this is true. In the past, people got married in their 20s. Now, more and more people are living with their parents or staying in school until they’re thirty. Some are scared of commitment and/or just want to take it easy after college. Most of the people I knew my first few years in college were only interested in partying and enjoying being free from their parents. Some failed out of school because their priorities weren’t in the right place, and I almost joined them on their path to failure. I slacked off, but my senior year I got back on track and made the dean’s list!  I read an article not too long ago talking about how people in their twenties are part of a new age group. We currently have the age of adolescence and the rebelliousness of the teen years, but now we have the confusion and unknowingness of the twenties. People don’t know what they want to do with their life and they’re not ready to grow up yet, so they don’t make the leap into a new career or the commitment of marriage. If this keeps up, how is the US going to be when these people are the older generation? Have you ever thought about how different things will be for upcoming children? For us, our grandparents lived through the depression and had to work for every penny they made. They didn’t have computers and instant gratification. This is all our kids will know! In fact, this article shows us how our kids won’t even understand time-related activities because everything is given to them right away. You want to watch something you missed that came on last night? Hulu or DVR it. Our grandparents would just accept they missed it. Our kids will throw a tantrum until we get them to a computer, or better yet, give them a phone so they can pull it up themselves.

It’s scary. We as people in our twenties need to get off our lazy butts and make a decision about what we want to do with our lives. No more living at home with mom and dad and freeloading it through life. No more taking 8 years to get a bachelor’s degree. For one, it’s embarrassing, and two, I know my parents would have never let that slide. I was told I could live at home if I really had to, but I still had to get a job and do something. Luckily, I never wanted to go back home because I was independent. What is causing the dependence of the young adult generation? Is it parents babying their children too much? Don’t let little Johnny graduate from college or boot camp and then come back home and sleep all day while you cook and clean for his sorry butt. Make your graduate do something! At least work at McDonalds so you understand the value of a dollar. It shames me to see some of my friends I went to college with laying around all day with no job. You have a degree! USE IT! And don’t say you can’t find a job. Grocery stores hire every week, so you can at least do that until you find the career of your dreams. Or you know what, you aren’t going to get the career of your dreams right after college. You may have to start in the mailroom of that law firm, or work with customers before you can move up to a more technical role. Start somewhere. Do something. Don’t be lazy. Companies WILL ask why you graduated in 2009 and don’t have any job history since then. I know if I was a recruiter I would definitely notice that. I always direct my friends to try working in a bank as a teller. It’s a job that does require some skill and it looks good on resumes. A lot of people even continue on and make that their career. It’s better than McDonalds and it ensures your skills don’t atrophy. Like I said, at least do SOMETHING! You aren’t doing any good to anyone sleeping until 2pm and you should be ashamed. Your grandparents had already had a couple kids and promotions by this age!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 45 President's of the United States Song!

Last Name Banner

TOP: The Organic Project