Life in the office

I've been getting used to my life in the office. I usually have a lot of down time since I'm just starting off with my clients and theres not much I can do until they get setup. The office dynamics are different too. I have a different boss and a manager that I answer to. On the road, I was pretty much on my own and only talked to my boss when it was necessary. I also got to spend my down time any way I wish. Since I moved into the office role, the team I used to be on went remote. this means they no longer have cubes in the office and when they're not traveling they "work from home." I would have loved that when I was traveling! I could have spent more time with my man at his college at my "home office." Instead I would have to go back to my home for a day of work and then drive back out to his college which was 3 hours away. I guess it made me spend more time at home instead of always leaving. It would have let me live anywhere I please and probably visit friends and family more often. Oh well.

The big thing in the office is how different the time off is. Since we have clients that may need us at anytime, we cant just leave when we have overtime. When I was on the road, overtime meant no work on Friday. Its just not the case now. In fact, there have been some disagreements on how Overtime and PTO should be keyed.

Does this make sense? Say I worked 44 hours by Thursday so I didn't want to come in and work Friday. I was told that I would need to log 8 hours of PTO on Friday if I didn't come in, even though I was only taking the day off to prevent overtime. If I log PTO, this will add 8 more hours to my total time sheet, thus bringing my total to 52 hours for the week. They will not pay me time and half either since my hours were PTO and not actual working hours. Thus, I am sacrificing a day of PTO in order to try to prevent the company from paying me overtime and losing money in the process. It makes absolutely no sense at all. I took it to upper management and no one seems to know what to do. I was told that my time sheet needed to reflect what I was doing on during the work day. Well duh, if there are no hours logged that day doesn't that mean I didn't come into the office? Instead of using PTO I can just leave the day blank! I think I raised enough trouble that we are going to have a lunch and learn with payroll in order to figure it all out. Nevertheless, I probably wont get overtime that much, but when it does happen there needs to be a clear and sensible process for doing so. I should be able to leave if I am caught up and have served my hours for the week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 45 President's of the United States Song!

Last Name Banner

TOP: The Organic Project